Thursday, November 12, 2015

It is not you, it is me!

This text is fictional.
Any similarity with reality is not more than a coincidence.

"We have to split, I can't stand it anymore.
It is not that I don't appreciate or like you,
I just don't feel we are a good match.

I loved when everything started.
You intrigued my curiosity,
you made me learn multiple topics,
you made me understand life in a much deeper way.

I loved the amazing people I got to know through you.
People genuinely hearted that was fun to talk with,
people who was joyful to have a beer with,
people who like to wonder about ideas.

Suddenly you changed abruptly.
Instead of inspiring me,
you tried to control how I should think,
you started to narrow how I should feel

You asked me to prove that I was good enough for you,
I moved away from my friends, my family, and all the fun.
I had to prove I could focus,
I had to prove my dedication.

I proved my value, but you kept demanding more...
Once you were fun, but became biased into competition.
Your focus was on winning an argument,
and you kept asking me to prove more.

I heard you were selfish,
that you would demand extra time.
I thought you would be different with me.
You became extremely conservative and out of balance.

I have to say I still love you
but I did not know you were so demanding.
I need a break to explore other things I consider important in my life
I need some time to myself

You attracted me with the your spirit of adventure, but now it is gone.
If it is meant to be, I will look for you again in the future.
I still wish you all the best,
you still will hold my admiration

I will be in touch but I have to leave.
At the time you expand in this entropic environment,
I hope you find your balance.
Science (academia), I hope the best for you
"

Change `Science (academia)` to any career or whatever you believe would fit the text.
Alternative title: `the academia utterance`, `the career utterance`.

Extra:

I am still staying in Academia for a while. There are things I enjoy on it and a reason why I decided it.
Academia is not this heaven land as many try to claim.
I really enjoy my current project, lab, and some freedom I have.
There are plenty of things I enjoy in Academia,  but I am sure there are plenty of things out of academia that I would really enjoy exploring.

Some of my favorite topics in Academia:
Evolution, population dynamics, gene regulation, synthetic biology, thermodynamics,
whole cell modeling, game theory, cooperation/cheating strategies, microbial communities,
statistics, mathematics, machine learning, drug resistance, horizontal gene transfer and so on.

What Academia does not really offer:
Um bom samba, boemia, futebol! ;)
Várias coisas...

4 comments:

Marcelo Salviano said...

Muito bom o texto Tonhão!
Ela vai sentir sua falta, com certeza.
São poucos q a tratam com tanta dedicação e inteligência como vc
Apesar de achar q todos vamos perder com essa separação, talvez um tempo ajude! :)
Qlq nova relação vai ser mto beneficiada com esse longo caso seus!

Abração e sucesso
Marcelo

Unknown said...

ai... To pra escrever essa carta aí...
You once were fun, but became biased into competition. Tá demais pra mim! But where to go?

Unknown said...

ai... To pra escrever essa carta aí...
You once were fun, but became biased into competition. Tá demais pra mim! But where to go?

Filipe said...

Me lembrou Molejão! Heheheh
Boa sorte, primo. Vai dar tudo certo, tenho certeza e tô na torcida. Abração.